Our food philosophy takes inspiration from farming and foraging around the site to create a unique dining experience.
“… a kitchen that is a continuous think tank of ideas in food …” – Head Chef, Lachlan Colwill
Hentley Farm's Food Philosophy
We aim to connect guests with the vineyards, the wines, the farm, and more broadly the Barossa itself. The stables at Hentley Farm, originally built in the 1880s on the banks of Greenock Creek, have been meticulously restored and converted into a contemporary dining room.
Head chef Lachlan Colwill offers two set menu options which are created according to what is abundant, fresh, and of the highest quality. The restaurant has a strong focus on harvesting produce from the farm’s 150 acres, including foraged ingredients growing wild, as well as fruit, vegetables and herbs grown in our garden beds and orchard. All the wines that are matched with the menus are from the Hentley Farm portfolio.
“It’s an incredible privilege to head up a progressive kitchen in the very region I grew up. The produce we use often comes from people I went to school with that have taken over the family farms, old friends with orchards and home gardens and family supplying us with produce from the very trees I used to climb. Being at Hentley Farm provides an opportunity to also focus on our own farming practices and foraging around the site. All of this combined makes for a great source of inspiration as a chef, and is key to creating a dining experience that is truly unique to the region.” – Head Chef, Lachlan Colwill.
We are proud to be a member of the prestigious Relais et Chateaux Association, one of only five in Australia, whose members are “united in their passion for hospitality, commitment to quality and an aspiration to deliver an ever higher level of service”.
Since opening in May 2012, we are delighted to have been awarded:
- Awarded two hats in the National Edition Goodfood Guide 2020, 2019 & 2018
- South Australia’s Restaurant of the Year in the 2013 & 2016 Advertiser Food Awards.
- Awarded four forks in The Advertiser Food Guide 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016.
- Best Regional Restaurant in the 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 Advertiser Food Awards.
- Consecutive Best Restaurant in a Winery category at the SA Restaurant & Catering Awards, 2014 & 2015.
- Named Best New Restaurant at the SA Restaurant & Catering Awards 2013.